Westminster's Welsh Rarebit
Smothered in a deliciously thick and tasty cheese sauce, Welsh rarebit is so much more than the staple cheese on toast. It’s cheese on toast with attitude, laced with a punchy kick! This comforting and significant meal is perfect for mornings, midday and even suppertime snacking.
This British dish is super-easy and quick to make, it only takes 15 minutes in total. If you love melted cheese, you will love our tweaked version of this traditional, warm, cheesy snack!
Prep & Cook Time: 15 mins Skill Level: Easy Serves: 6
- 11oz grated Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of beer or milk, the choice is yours!
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of English mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 12 thick slices of wholemeal bread
Let's get cooking:
- Preheat the grill to high
- Set aside 1 heaped tablespoon of grated Westminster Sharp English Cheddar, you’ll need this
- Lightly beat the egg and mix in the remaining Westminster Sharp English Cheddar together
with the beer or milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and cayenne pepper
- Toast the bread on both sides, turning over to make sure the slices are grilled evenly
- Remove from the grill and spread the cheese mixture on top. Before returning, sprinkle on the
reserved Westminster Sharp English Cheddar
- Grill until the cheese has melted and is golden brown
- Divide on to plates and drizzle Worcestershire sauce on top