Westminster’s Gratin with a difference
If you’re not a great fan of cauliflower or Brussel sprouts this gratin dish is guaranteed to change your mind. Bringing together both brassicas with some tasty bacon, a delicious white sauce and all topped with our Westminster cheddar and panko breadcrumbs, what’s not to like?
Preparation and cooking time: 25 minutes and cooking 30 minutes Level: Easy Serves: 8
- 4 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 4 cups fresh Brussel sprouts, quartered
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Westminster Cheddar
Let's get cooking:
- First, heat oven to 375°. Place cauliflower and Brussel sprouts in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, cover with lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until crisp/tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet fry the chopped bacon over a medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon but retain bacon drippings in the pan.
- Sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in bacon drippings until tender.
- Slowly stir in flour until blended and gradually add the milk, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; stirring slowly for two minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cauliflower and Brussel sprout mixture and bacon to the sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Westminster Cheddar. Remove foil and cover with cheese and breadcrumb mix. Bake uncovered for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy and become a Brussel and cauliflower convert.