Mac & Cheese with a Pimento Twist
Creamy, cheesy and with a light crunchy topping, mac and cheese is a dish that keeps on giving… that’s why we’re bringing you a pimento twist to this much loved classic!
The super-tasty recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes (less if you’re using jar pimentos) making it a quick way to create a warming homemade meal with a fiery kick and a gourmet Westminster cheese flavor!
If you want to raise the heat of this dish further just add 1 jalapeño (chopped) during meal prep!
Prep & Cook Time: 45 mins Skill Level: Intermediate Serves: 4
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 ounces grated Westminster Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, skin removed and chopped or 2 1/2 ounce jar pimentos
Let's get cooking:
- If using fresh peppers for this dish, let’s start by roasting them. If you’re using jar pimentos please jump to step 5.
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Cut papers in half, remove the seeds, lay onto a baking tray lined with foil and flatten them.
- Place peppers in the oven and roast them until blackened all over. This takes approx. 10 minutes.
- Remove the blackened peppers from the oven and wrap them in foil to steam. Once cool, unwrap the peppers from the foil and rub off the charred skin. Chop peppers.
- Preheat oven to 350F and cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk, red pepper, salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
- Melt butter in a separate smaller saucepan. Add flour, whisk well and cook for 5 minutes. After this time, combine it with the hot milk mixture.
- Stir until smooth and thickened (this takes approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat; add 6 ounces cheese and pimentos to sauce and whisk until cheese is melted.
- Combine pasta and sauce and spoon into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir, sprinkle with remaining 2 ounces cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- You are ready to serve!