A classic American Apple Pie recipe with a dash of Cheddar Cheese!
Looking to spice up your super-sweet all American Apple Pie dish? Well this ultra-tasty recipe adds a delicious Westminster Cheddar twist to the well-loved classic dessert!
A traditional warming dish where simplicity is the key to its success, this Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese recipe will please all the family after a scrumptious mid-week dinner – and trust us, you’ll want to save room for this dessert!
Top tip! Once cooked, cool the pie at room temperature for at least three hours before serving with a dollop of cream or a big jug of custard – yummy!
Prep Time: 50 mins. Skill Level: Easy. Serves: 8
- For the filling -
- 2lbs of fresh Granny Smith apples - peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 and 1/2lbs of Braeburn apples - peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 of a cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of creamy butter
- 1/2 a teaspoon ground cinnamon (don’t you just love that aroma!)
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/2 a cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 of a cup of light brown sugar
- 1 egg which has been beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- For the pie crust -
- 4oz of our ever-so-delicious Westminster Sharp Cheddar
- 2 and 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour (plus a little extra for dusting!)
- 1 cup of cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt
Let's get cooking:
- Creating the pie crust - Combine the all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and use a hand mixer to blend together, then add the cold unsalted butter and mix until the mixture is coarse like crumbly sand.
- Now for the best bit! Add our super-tasty Westminster Sharp Cheddar to the mixture and mix again until combined and the cheese is in smaller chunks.
- Carefully drizzle six tablespoons of cold water into the mixture and gently mix in with a spatula until the flour is slightly moistened.
- Simply divide the pie dough in half, shape each of the halves into a ball and flatten into a disc, then leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes. Next up, the scrumptious filling!
- Creating the filling - In a large bowl, combine the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and gently mix by hand. Making an apple pie has never been so easy!
- It’s time to pre-heat the oven to 425°F and place the baking racks into the center.
- To create the pie crust casing, roll out one of the dough discs on a lightly floured surface so that it is 12 inches round. Then transfer the dough to a 9 inch pie dish.
- Perfecting the pie - Add the filling mixture on top of the dough in an even layer and dot slightly with butter, lightly brushing the edges with the pre-made egg wash.
- To make the top layer of the pie, roll out the second dough disc ever so slightly smaller than the first, then place on top of the pie pressing in the edges to seal the crust.
- Time to make the pie look beautiful! Trim the crust so that you are left with a roughly 1 inch overhang, then tuck the crust underneath itself. Crimp the edges for that extra decorative touch and brush the whole pie with egg wash.
- To make sure the pie is cooked through, make four or five small air slits in the center and place the pie in the oven for roughly 25 minutes.
- For the final step, lower the oven to 350°F and bake for a further 45 minutes…. don’t forget to take in those sweet aromas!