Skinny Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
This super-creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is not only heavenly but healthy too! This quick and easy soup is the perfect mid-week meal or a tantalising homemade lunch alternative.
Try adding a touch of bacon to really spoil yourself on those treat days, it really will make this meal to good to resist!
Prep & Cook Time: 40 mins. Skill level: Easy. Serves: 6
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into thin slices
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 1-1 ½ cups chopped onions
- ½ all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock/broth
- 2 ½ cups low fat milk
- 8 oz Westminster sharp cheddar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ nutmeg
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (reduce or add to own preference)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (reduce or add to own preference)
Let's get cooking:
- Over medium heat, bring a large pot of water to the boil, add Broccoli and carrots until cooked.
- Drain your vegetables and put to one side.
- In another pot, sauté onions until tender and gradually add flour, don’t forget to keep stirring you don’t want the mixture to clump!
- Once you have a nice paste, add the chicken broth and continue to stir with a whisk.
- Slowly add your milk and bring to the boil, slowly add your cheese and stir mixture until all cheese has melted.
- Add your Broccoli and carrots, salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg and bayleaf, give your mixture a good stir and cover.
- Reduce the heat and cook slowly over 20 minutes.