A mouth-watering all-American Macaroni and Cheese recipe with an English Twist
Looking to create an out of this world mac and cheese dish? Creamy, cheesy and with a light crunchy topping? This is the mac and cheese recipe that dreams are made of.
The delicious recipe can be prepped in 20 minutes and baked in 30, making it a super-fast way to create a warming homemade meal for friends and family with a gourmet Westminster cheese flavor!
An American classic that is super-popular in England too, why not add a teaspoon of English Mustard for a traditional tangy twist?
Prep & Cook Time: 50 mins. Skill level: Easy. Serves: 4
- 1 cup of macaroni
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup of fine chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup of Westminster Mild English Cheddar Cheese
Let's get cooking:
- Preheat your oven to a super-hot 350°F. You don’t have to use a traditional AGA cooker like ours, it works just as well in a conventional oven!
- While you’re creating that all important creamy cheese mixture (more info on that below!) cook one cup of macaroni per its package instructions, then simply drain and set aside for later.
- Over a medium heat, melt a tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan and add a quarter of a cup of finely chopped onion and one minced garlic clove. Cook until they become translucent - doesn’t that smell amazing!
- Once the onion and garlic have softened, add a tablespoon of flour to the saucepan and stir until it has combined. Make sure there is no dry flour left hiding in your pan!
- Add one and a half cups of milk to the saucepan along with a quarter of a teaspoon of black pepper. Stir constantly to combine the mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Now comes the fun part! Stir in both creamy smooth Westminster cheeses one at a time (have a little nibble beforehand - we won’t tell!) until they have fully melted and the mixture is deliciously smooth.
- Place your pre-cooked macaroni into a large casserole dish and gently pour in the heavenly cheese mixture and stir them together.
- Pop the dish in the oven for 30 minutes until crunchy and golden brown.
- Let the dish cool for 10 minutes on the kitchen side (have a sneaky taste!) and then serve the delightful dish up to your friends and family - but be aware, the recipe is creamy, cheesy and leaves you wanting more.