Crispy Potato Skins bursting with Cheddar, Bacon and Sour Cream - yum!
There’s absolutely nothing in this world quite like a plate that’s bursting with crispy potato skins filled with tastebud pleasing melted cheddar, crunchy bacon and topped with sour cream and onion – nom nom nom.
Perfect for a mid-week family dinner or a tasty party appetizer, this dish takes just 10 minutes to prep, and with a cook time of 1 hour and 40 minutes, this delicious cheese-filled recipe is not only easy to make but can be placed in the oven and forgotten about until it’s ready to be devoured…
Serves a family of 4 to 6.
Serves 4-6 Cooking Time 20mins Skill Level – Easy!
- 6 medium sized baking potatoes (total 3lbs in weight)
- 4oz of grated Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 6 strips of fresh bacon
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Grapeseed oil
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
Let's get cooking:
- Preheat your oven to a super-hot 400°F and then get scrubbing those delicious potatoes until they are clean and ready to be baked.
- Pierce the potatoes a couple of times with a sharp knife, coat in olive oil (to get that mind-blowing crunchiness) and bake for roughly an hour.
- It’s time go get the bacon sizzling! Cook the bacon strips in a frying pan on medium to low heat for roughly 10 minutes until it is nice and crispy. Then simply drain off the excess oil on paper towels. Once the bacon has cooled, crumble it into small pieces and put it aside for later.
- Now we need to prep the potato skins! Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool down enough so they are safe to handle. Then, simply cut the potatoes horizontally and use a spoon to scoop out the insides leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin.
- To increase the crunchiness of the potato skins (yes please!) turn the oven up to 450°F, rub grapeseed oil all over the potato and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes on one side, then give them a flip and cook for another 10 minutes. Once done, remove them from the oven and let them cool down.
- Here comes the fun part - adding the cheddar and bacon! Lightly dust the inside of the potato skins with freshly ground pepper and then fill with our mouth-watering Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese and crumbled bacon (at this point, why not have sneaky taste of the cheese?)
- Place the potato skins back into the oven until the cheese is bubbly - cheesy heaven!
- To fully enhance the scrumptious cheddar and bacon taste, top the potato skins with sour cream and sprinkle with green onions, then serve immediately!