Cheesy Cauliflower Au Gratin recipe - the perfect gourmet dinner party dish!
When thinking of a cheddar cheese dish, nothing says deliciously indulgent like Cheesy Cauliflower Au Gratin. The gourmet dish is simple to make, prep time 15 minutes and cook time 25, but powerful on the tastebuds – the perfect choice for a delightful weekend dinner party!
Need an extra crunch in the dish? Add in small, chopped up pieces of thick cut crispy bacon – you’re welcome!
Prep & Cook Time: 40 mins. Skill Level: Easy. Serves: 4-6
- 1 extra-large fresh cauliflower
- 300ml whole full-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2oz of creamy butter
- 1oz of fresh crumbly breadcrumbs
- 8oz of finely grated Westminster Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried traditional English mustard
- a touch of nutmeg
- a pinch of salt and black pepper
Let's get cooking:
- First things first, pre-heat the oven to an ultra-scorching 450°.
- Trim the cauliflowers of its leaves and carefully break into small florets, then boil in salted water until just tender - roughly 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the cauliflower in a colander, cover and set to one side.
- Take the butter and fully cover an oven-proof baking dish. Make sure you use lashings of butter so the food doesn’t stick, and then pop in the cauliflower.
- Add the 300ml of whole milk, three tablespoons of plain flour and 2oz of butter into a saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- While the mixture is slowly heating up, whisk with a wire whisk continuously until the sauce thickens, is smooth and boils. Then allow to simmer for a further two minutes.
- Now it is time to add the cheese! Add 3/4 of Westminster Sharp Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard, a touch of nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper into the saucepan.
- Cook the mixture for a further minute, making sure to stir it well. (We know it’s tempting but don’t take a sneaky taste - it will be super hot. But trust us, it’s worth the wait!)
- Pour the thick, cheesy sauce over the cauliflower covering it well.
- Mix the remainder of the grated cheddar and 1oz of breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower dish.
- Place the dish in a super-hot oven for roughly 15-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown and bubbling away.
- Get your tastebuds ready and serve immediately!