Cheddar and Chive Buttermilk Biscuits recipe - the perfect hearty soup partner!
The perfect antidote for a chilly evening? A warm tummy pleasing biscuit bursting with tantalizing flavors of course!
The perfect partner for a hearty soup or a truly traditional rich English stew, served warm these cheesy Cheddar and Chive Buttermilk Biscuits will seriously impress dinner guests and warm their bones on a cold night…
Makes 9 mouth-watering biscuits.
- 3oz of grated Westminster Sharp Cheddar - delicious!
- 9oz of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2/3 of a cup of creamy buttermilk
- 1/4 of a cup of fresh chives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of cubed unsalted butter
- 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt for seasoning
Let's get cooking:
- Heat the oven to a scorching 375°F and position the rack in the center, then line a baking tray with parchment paper, ready to house your biscuits.
- In an extra-large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until completely blended (no lumps!)
- Source a pastry blender, or if easier two table knives, and simply cut the cubed butter into the flour mixture until the texture is fine with a few buttery chunks. Stir in the fresh chives and our Westminster Sharp Cheddar - it’s okay, you can have a cheeky bite!
- Stir in the buttermilk with a wooden spoon until the biscuit dough is sticky and wet. Then place the dough on a (non-floured) chopping board and thoroughly knead approximately 12 times until the dough comes together and is nice and smooth.
- Lightly dust the chopping board with flour and sculpt the dough into a square that is one inch thick. Use an extra-sharp knife to trim the edges of the square (this helps the biscuits to rise!).
- Cut the large dough square into nine smaller squares and transfer them onto the lined baking tray ready to be cooked! Place the tray in the oven and bake until firm and lightly golden brown on top, and golden brown on the bottom (we’re hungry just writing about it!) - roughly 18 to 25 mins.
- Take the biscuits out of the oven, allow to cool a little and serve!