Gourmet Bacon and Truffle Oil Macaroni and Cheese recipe - a super-delicious twist on a well-loved American dish!
This classic American macaroni and cheese recipe has been pimped up a notch – thanks to a bacon and truffle oil gourmet twist!
Perfect for entertaining, the subtle undertones of the gourmet truffle oil mixed with the smoky crunch of crispy bacon pairs perfectly with the creamy macaroni and cheese made with our very own Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
For an extra-delicious outcome… sprinkle the dish with some breadcrumbs and pop in the oven for a crunchy baked version. Or for that English twist, add a teaspoon of Colman’s powdered mustard when prepping the evaporated milk mixture.
Prep & Cook Time: 30 mins. Skill Level: Easy. Serves: 2-4
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 12oz of 2% evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of truffle oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8oz macaroni, cooked to package instructions
- 8 strips of thick cut smoky bacon
- 8oz of finely grated Westminster Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, plus a little extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped white onion
Let's get cooking:
- Place a large saucepan of water over a medium heat, ready for cooking the macaroni later. While it’s heating up, let’s get started with the bacon!
- Over very high heat, fry the eight strips of thick cut smoky bacon in a large skillet until ultra-crispy (don’t you just love that bacon smell! mmm), then remove the bacon and set aside until it has cooled. Make sure to reserve the bacon grease too - we’ll need this later!
- Once the bacon has cooled down, crumble it into pieces, place in a bowl and set aside until later.
- Back to the bacon grease! Place one tablespoon of the grease into a skillet and place over a low to medium heat. Then add the 1/2 cup of finely chopped white onion and cook for five minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Now let’s get some flavor in there! Add the three minced garlic cloves into the skillet and cook for an additional one minute until fragrant, and then remove from the heat.
- Cook the 8oz of macaroni al dente style according to the package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the large egg, 12oz of evaporated milk, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne until thoroughly combined.
- Once the pasta has been cooked and drained, immediately stir in the prepared mixture until well combined. Continue to cook over a medium to high heat for about five to eight minutes stirring continuously.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in the grated cheddar and Parmesan until melted and smooth. Nearly there!
- Very gently stir in the three tablespoons of truffle oil and half of the crumbled bacon. Serve immediately and top with the remaining crumbled bacon and some additional Parmesan cheese.