15 chutney recipes to truly enhance our tasty Westminster Cheddar!
There’s nothing quite like pairing our fine cheeses with homemade chutney recipes! OK, so we may be biased but don’t knock it until you try it! Just for you, we’ve been on a chutney making challenge to create and (most importantly) taste 15 of the very best chutneys that are simple to make and can transform an everyday meal into a culinary delight!
1. This Pear Chutney recipe is super-simple to prepare and once you have prepped your ingredients, simply throw it (lovingly!) into the pan and away you go! For extra spiciness be bold and opt for three teaspoons of red chili flakes – delicious!
2. Be prepared for the aromas and mouth-watering taste of this Red Garlic Chutney! It truly is the icing on the cake if you love nothing more than pairing meats and cheeses together. This chutney works particularly well with our Sharp Cheddar cheese. p.s. Don’t forget to wash your hands after handling the chili!
3. A must for green-fingered mint growers or just those with an obsession with its refreshing taste. One of the more versatile chutneys, this Mint Chutney can be used as side dish for meats, barbecues and it’s even recommended as a ‘go-to’ sandwich filler too (with our Vintage Cheddar cheese of course!) – genius! Using mint leaves, coriander, and ginger and mixed with fresh yogurt, this is the ultimate refreshing snack.
4. Plum Chutney is a firm favorite in England and this easy-peasy recipe can be made with either purple or red plums. Ninety percent of the plums consumed in the United States are grown in California and are the Japanese variety which is perfect for pickles and jams. This one takes a little time to taste just right, so don’t forget to allow a minimum of a month to season before tucking in!
5. You’ll simply love this fusion of nectarines, dried cherries and apricots. This Fresh Fruit Chutney works well with our Ploughman’s recipe, spread generously on a fresh slice of homemade bread and top with your favorite Westminster cheese!
6. This recipe makes about six servings, so it’s great for a dinner party side dish. It works particularly well with meats, fish and curried dishes. For a top tip try it with our Gourmet Bacon and Truffle Oil Macaroni and Cheese – let us know what you think of this dream combination!
7. Otherwise know as ‘adult ketchup’ we seriously can’t get enough of this recipe! Taking your tastebuds to a more refined ‘ketchup loving’ level, we advise you to spread it liberally on a homemade cheeseburger or simply use as a dipping sauce for fries. And it’s good for you too, don’t forget that tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, which is linked to reducing the risk of heart disease.
8. When you are mixing fresh ginger, shallots, and garlic with grated coconut be prepared for the most amazing aromas and textures! This Red Coconut Chutney is a joy to eat and simple to make, with a cooking time of just six minutes, what’s not to love!
9. Cited as a ‘tastebud teaser’ (we agree) this Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney is prepared with fresh ripened mangoes. The spicy kick is thanks to the ingenious combinations of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, yummy! Once cooked it’s ready to go, serve immediately or store to savor for another day.
10. There’s no room for middle ground when it comes to the taste of fennel – you either love it or hate it! An acquired taste, assertive and anisseedy, this confident Fennel Cranberry Chutney divides the team here at Westminster! This recipe incorporates pure cranberry juice, adding a splash more flavor complexity and a dash of pink to your chutney, fab idea!
11. Eggplant Chutney works well with most meals and is a general crowd pleaser! Not too hot and spicey but with enough texture and flavors to enhance your meal, this is a firm favorite with families.
12. Perfect to warm you up on a cold day. Only dare try this recipe if you are a chutney and chili aficionado! Using a staggering 10 hot red peppers this Hot Chili Chutney is truly hot, hot, hot. A little-known fact to muse on whilst you prepare your chutney…chilies have been eaten in the Americas since at least 7500BC!
13. Perfect for packed lunches, picnics or just a simple way to jazz up an everyday sandwich, this Sandwich Chutney is a huge hit with the team. Packed with peanuts, chat masala, coriander and mint leaves, it’s jam-packed with healthy ingredients sure to brighten up your day!
14. Pineapple is well-known to be good for the digestion and topped with its nutritional benefits, including calcium, potassium and vitamin C, this Pineapple Chutney is a staple side dish we love to prepare for dinner parties.
15. Named ‘Mom’s Cranberry Chutney’ and we can see why…it’s a mouth-watering recipe using frozen cranberries (so no need to go buy fresh ones) and with a quick preparation time (just 15 mins) it’s ready to eat within an hour of cooking – no fermentation needed, enjoy!
Searching for more recipe inspiration? Head on over to our Pinterest board for mouth-watering recipe ideas…Sign up to our newsletter for the latest inspiration and giveaways!